Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday, 11.17.14 - U.S. Capitol tour, Library of Congress, House of Representatives, National Portrait Gallery then home!

I have an open day as Beth has an Impact Assets Board meeting after which we fly home. So I was quite fortunate to be able to make a last minute appointment to take the tour of our U.S. Capitol. I felt overwhelmed by the history, culture, politics, Art as well as the architecture of the Capitol (The Architect's Virtual Capitol).  Obviously it's huge and our tour only saw a small portion of it all but I very much enjoyed it.

As you can see from my photo of the Capitol is under renovation

U.S. Capitol under renovation

Ulysses S Grant - reminds me of the Steve Stern stories of the man!
After my tour of the U.S. Capitol I walked over to the Library of Congress.  What a beautiful building they have all kinds of art, like this War poster, or any of these War posters. Or even these Civil War photo's.  I loved the Library of Congress architecture.  Being a library they have all kinds of cool stuff like these Rosa Park's papers.



From here I walked over to Nancy Pelosi's office as I wanted to see if she would give me a pass to get into the House of Representatives.  My first surprise was her door! Our San Francisco Giants had just won our 3rd World Series in the past 5 years and Nancy had our SF Giants on her door!


OK so Nancy Pelosi did NOT come out to give me a pass but I did get one!


It was a tremendous feeling to be in the House of Representatives.  While they were NOT in session there was still Representatives introducing their Bills, it was way cool to be inside this place.

From here I walked over and had lunch at a wonderful Indian food restaurant Rasika, it was awesome.

I still had some time after lunch and before the end of Beth's Impact Assets Board meeting…..so I walked over to the National Portrait Gallery.  I was especially interested in seeing the President's portrait's.




I LOVED DC, lot's to see and do even in the Winter.  I was so nice to see and spend time with Kimberly and Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment