Saturday, February 18, 2017

My 60th Birthday and our Dinner Party - Saturday, February 18th and Sunday, February 19th, 2017

Saturday, February 18th

I have to imagine that some people, like I did, wake up on their 60th birthday and have a hard time believing they are 60.  The good news is, mostly, I don't feel old.  Well maybe a little after my trainer has worked me hard for the 5th consecutive day when my legs and arms are tired.  But I feel fortunate that my overall feeling, spirit and in my heart and soul I feel young.  

I think spending this year in Spain, trying to learn a new language has further helped me to think and feel younger.  The excitement of discovering new places, experiencing new rituals, traditions and festivals, new people, customs, let alone the challenge of studying again and trying to speak Spanish, has definitely helped me to "work" my brain!

There is no question I feel sad that we were not home with all of our family and friends to celebrate my 60th.  We like to have parties and I know celebrating my 60th would have been a blast.  That's life right, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes well you just might find you get what you need".  It was nice to have so many email messages and photos and cards from friends at home.  The photo with me and my Thousand Oaks buddies - can you guess which afro studded dude is me?


We all started off the day by taking The Stelluto's to the Central Market.  Below is a 4 minute YouTube video of the Central Market.



From the Central Market we walked down Calle Caballeros, one of the historic streets of Valencia.  The group went into a Chinese store to buy somethings I walked next door to admire a few of the Slow Motion paper mache art pieces in Rostro Foto Studio by Gerald Kiernan.  We have admired them a number of times and kept thinking we might buy some.  Well Gerald was just closing the shop, but he kept it open and we bought one.  Here it is "hanging out" from our shelves!



It turns out he had another piece of art, a statue, that we feel in love with.  It is small enough for us to carry home, so we bought it.  We haven't received it yet so no photo's at this time.

We brought the Stelluto's to Quart Towers



We went to have a calamari sandwich.  But we should know better by now, never eat jut before a restaurant closes (4:00).  We did not get the sandwich, but poor calamari, shrimp, tortilla, etc.  not the greatest snack we've every had.  We then went home to  relax a little before our dinner party tonight.

Before we left the house, for our dinner party, the men had a Johnny Walker Black scotch.



Beth arranged the party at our favorite Italian restaurant Lambrusqueria, we had 27 people from around the world.

Susan with the 60th ballons



Beautiful table set up

Me with my diamond studded glasses and my King crown with Jorge and Ferni 

Dale (with the book he gave me -- 1000 must know words in Spanish)  with Patricia and Ricardo in the back ground

Maria Marin with her baby 

Ferni, then John (he gave me the King crown because I found the King in my piece of King's cake earlier in the year) followed by Francisco, the temporary King and Isabel who is Francisco's wife, then Chiara.



We had excellent food, wonderful company and everyone had a nice time meeting new people and celebrating.

Sunday, February 19th

Nathan wearing the Warriors hat Jorge and Ferni gave me and my glasses from Dale having fun!



Later in the day we took the Stelluto's to their first ever Fútbol match, it was Valencia vs. Athletic Club Bilbao.

We asked Nathan if he knew any Valencia fútbol players and he said he knew Luís Carlos Almeida de Cunha known as NANI.  We were surprised he knew anyone but he told us it was because he plays a FIFA video game and Nani was on is team, I think.

This was my 3rd Valencia fútbol match this season....Valencia is having a terrible season and they lost my previous 2 games.  But TODAY was different.  Not only did Valencia win, but the first ever GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL
that Nathan ever saw was scored by none other than NANI, how's that for a unique story!  Here are the highlights of our game.



BTW we gave Nathan a Valencia fútbol shirt for his Birthday and I wore mine.  Here are some photo's from the game





David, Susan and Beth coordinated to make me my favorite chocolate cake with whipped cream, great way to finish my Birthday weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment