Friday, September 7, 2018

Catching up starting with Sonoma Little League 2018 - March 2018

So now I'm the Manager of the PIRATES......my first meeting with the other AA coaches was the "draft".  These kids are mostly 7 and 8 years old.  I hadn't seen them try out so I choose to draft the kids with names I thought represented PIRATES.....her are a few, Dakota, Weston, Max, Channing, Maddox, Guthrie, Nico, Joey, Joshua, Gio, Jr.....

Below is the Opening Night ceremony called HAT Night, there were 350 kids in all the divisions of Sonoma Little League



I thought it would be fun, so I bought them all PIRATE eye patches for HAT NIGHT!

Maddox, playing with a worm he picked up from the grass.


After our "draft" I had to find a team sponsor for $400.  Luck for me the first people I asked supported our team.  Our friends Susie and Andrew, who started Tri-Tips Trolley were opening a new restaurant in Kenwood called TIPS ROADSIDE, they graciously sponsored our team!



Us and the Mets after one of our games

So what was our record?  I'm guessing that we were probably about 8 and 8 (16 games and about 20 practices).  Why guessing....well for kids this age 7 and 8 since they are still learning how to catch and thrown, how to run the bases, what a force out is, how to catch fly balls, basically EVERY SINGLE skill and rule the game is set up as follows.  No inning can start after playing 1 hour and 45 minutes...the first 3 innings a manual pitching machine is used, the 4th inning + it's kid pitch.  Each inning ends when one of the following occurs:  The defensive team actually gets 3 outs OR the offensive team bats around OR the offensive team scores 5 runs.....we just count runs but did NNOT keep score.

A couple of my favorite things I did at practice...brought water balloons, of the kids to practice both soft toss and soft catch....bring the kids size popcorn of "Pirates Booty" to give out after learning a skill....and or course ice cream on our last practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment