Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp March 1934 to July 1936

Today, Wednesday, May 2nd was our last day in Berlin.  Tomorrow we spend most of the day traveling from Berlin to Bruges, Belgium.

We've covered our local neighborhoods and Richard had nothing he wanted to do today.  I saw this Concentration Camp in the guide book and stated that I would like to go out there.  It was going to take some time and logistic's as it is a 45 minute train ride out of Berlin.  I give credit to Richard, he went along with my wish, with just a small bit of trepidation.

On the train ride out there I was feeling nervous and sweating slightly (although being on a "local" train and it being 80 degrees AGAIN may have something to do with my sweat).  In any case I just didn't know how I was going to feel about being in the presence of a Concentration Camp and or how I would feel or react.

WHAT AN IMPACT!

I really do not know how to express what it felt like, but I was totally blown away by it.  So many emotions kept coming up, anger, disgust, fear, sadness, pain, internal disbelief that it is possible for human beings to treat "others" not just Jews, but Gypsy's, Mormon's and other as though they were not even human.

I kept thinking, and I do not have any evidence or facts to back up my thinking, but I had a sense that the German's must have been SO AFRAID of the Jews.  Their FEAR is what created the environment for such cruelty


So here are some photo's:


Some 100,000 people died her during WW!!


Main entrance gate of the camp, it says "Work Makes You Free" A chilling reminder of the deception and evil once perpetrated, over 100, 000 people died here.



Roll call field

Execution trench
                                                                                                                                                               


After a much shorter ride back to Berlin 25 minutes vs 45.  we arrived at the Central train station. We were going to take the U Bahn (underground) #55.  We had already purchased a round trip ticket for 6.80 Euros to visit Sachsennhausen.  Richard wanted to take a cab to get back to our hotel (about a 5 minute ride).  Just for comparison our cab ride to the hotel cost 6 Euros

We had dinner with Myra's niece Becca who is going to school at Darthmonth and this is her semester abroad.  She came with two girlfriends (Sara from Turkey and Siri from Abdereebjan Russia and one boy from Bangladesh. We had drinks at the Adlon first  then headed over to AIGNER for dinner
We had wonderful conversations over dinner and then each went our separate ways, as I they went out to have fun and I went to bed!



No comments:

Post a Comment