Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Maifeiertag (Labour Day) May 1st

May Day Madness?

The Lonely Plants Guide books warns guest in some districts, especially Kruezberg, "May Day has become the venue of large scale anti-capitalist, anti-globalization, anti whatever demonstrations. Traditionally, right-wing groups schedule  their marches for the same day, the police turn out in force and within a couple of hours their is chaos. That means violence, vandalism and burning vehicles."  Nice warning from Lonely Planet, yet we saw none of this with one major exception.  There were 5 to 6 Police on both sides of the block on every block.  I guess they too have had a lot of past experience noted above.

After breakfast the May Day march was still going on.  We followed along with then under the Brandenburg Gate.  I took photo's of people, signs, etc:

I presume this is a representation of Germany's 6.5% unemployment rate

I asked this man if it was ok to take his photo and as you can see he was happy to allow me!

Another reference to 6.5%


From here we walked through Tiergarten to the Reichstag (Parliament Building).  We were not able to get in as you need to make a reservation on line only at least three days in advance.


Mass Demonstration in front of the Reichstag against the "Brutal Peace" (May 15, 1919) 





On the way back to our hotel, by now we've walked about a mile, we see the area set aside for the kids to play games, ride tricycles and create art.  It was nice to see that they have areas where the kids can play for free while they March, drink beer, eat sausages.

So then we went the opposite way from Tiergarten up Under De Linden towards Alenanderplatz and the Spree River.  While it may have been another mile of walking by now around noon it was getting HOT.  The high was 27 degrees which I figure has to be around 81 or 82.  I knew I brought my shorts and sandals for a reason.

We came upon the spot of the Nazi book burning




We then sat down in the shade for a break and these young Russian gals where taking photo's of each other in front of this billboard.  I again asked if she would be OK if I took her photo and so:


We walked past the Deutsches Historisches museum as it was just TOO beautiful of a day to spend anytime inside.


This is the first time in my relationship with Beth, other then business, that I have traveled this long without her.  I miss her and love her  There are things I see that remind me of her.  Like the photo below. We "locked" our love on a Paris bridge and threw the key into the Seine on our last vacation together!  These locks on the bridge over the Spree River


By now we are tired and very thirsty (Beer time) and as we walk back to the square of the Nazi Book Burning we see the Hotel de Rome.  One of the very few rooftop locations in Berlin.  I wanted to take a photo of the decor as it was all Veuve Clicquot champagne......more thoughts of Beth as this is her favorite champagne.

Two beers later it's time to wander back to our hotel.  Since we were SO close we visited Fassbender & Rausch Chocolatiers.  We just looked and did not make any purchases.


We returned to our room just in time for cocktail hour.  We finished the Johnny Walker Double Black and are now drinking Chivas Regal.


Dinner tonight was at Mutter Hoppe I had the Pork Knuckle it was awesome.  Our waited Frank had a Bart Simpson tie on the said "The Last Perfect Man" it sounded familiar as I am SURE Beth had told me this!




Gute Nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment