Monday, April 30, 2012

Back in Berlin again



So we arrived on Sunday, April 29 around 7 pm at our hotel the beautiful Hotel Adlon Kempinski at Brandenburg Gate.  As the saying goes, location, location, location and this property has it all.  Out the front door is the Unter Den Linden (Under the Linden trees). Out the back door is the Holocaust Museum although it's called the Museum of the Murdered Jews of Europe.

BTW is was about 70 degrees at night when we arrived.....it felt like summer time in Germany!

In any case we were tired and hungry.  The concierge recommended the Aigner restaurant as it was highly rated yet only a 5 block walk.  We each had Schnitzel and it was very well prepared and excellent quality.  After that meal I was ready for a good night sleep.


Monday, April 30....I first put on my shorts but once I opened the window there was a chill in the air so I changed to my jeans.  After a full on buffet breakfast at the hotel we walked from the Brandenburg Gate through Tiergarten towards the Victory Column.  We passed the Soviet War Memorial


Soviet War Memorial


Brandenburg Gate


Ricardo in front of Victory Column



From here we headed toward Check Point Charlie and took some time to go into the museum



After the museum we needed to quench our thirst....ah a nice dark German beer did the trick.

From here we walked to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe




After our usual cocktail hour at our hotel we headed to dinner at 8:30 pm at The Volt

I had the 4 course meal....first the chef provided a Mousse Pate with and apricot....I'm not usually a Pate guy but I LOVED this.  Next I had something I've never eaten before Pork Belly with Craw fish, it certainly wasn't kosher but it was extremely delicious. Next was my main course a wonderfully done Lamb.  For desert a special Baklava.  The only challenge is you need to have a lot of patience as our meal took 2 and 1/2 hours.  I think the German's leave enough time in between meals so everyone can go outside to have a smoke.  In any case thank you to Myra for this fantastic recommendation.

Go night tomorrow (Tuesday, May 1st) is a National Labor Holiday called Maifeiertag, it should be another great day and it should be around 75 degrees!  

1 comment: