Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Trafalgar Square & London Pub Crawl

I'm in London for 1 night and 2 days.  I arrived this morning on a non-stop United flight, which was great.  I left SFO at 12:50 pm on Monday, April 23rd and arrived in Heathrow Airport at 7:15 am on Tuesday, April 24th.  After clearing immigration I caught the Tube for 5 pounds 30 (England as you may know is not part of the EURO zone). My timing was perfect as I arrived in Trafalgar Square around 9:15 am.  Jennifer Shupack and her Dad, Richard, were just waking up.  Since Jennifer was leaving to fly home at 11:00am I just dropped my bags and took a walk around the square to take some pictures and visit the National Gallery.  I love that ALL the museums in London are FREE.  Here are some shots of the day:

The National Gallery



Trafalgar Square




Only 94 days 11 hour 10 minutes & 6 seconds to the London Olympics

From Trafalgar Square we walked up Whitehall toward Big Ben and took some photo's on the way and stopped at our first Pub (Taylor Walker) to have some British Bitter (warm and dark) what we call beer the British call Ale.


Downing Street

Big Ben front
Big Ben from the back



Richard 1 (the Lion heart)

On our way back we stopped at the Red Lion for another pint. After our second pint we walked past a protest and it appears though the Gurkha are not getting the support from the UK Government they feel they desire due to their commitment to fight in Wars for the UK.  One of the 3 medals this man has on says Malay/Borneo War


Blackfriar Pub

We walked along the Thames and hit the famous Blackfriar Pub.  We caught cab back to the hotel, as after 3 beers and a bit of jet lag I had to take a nap before dinner.

We ate a a famous British style restaurant called Simpson's On the Strand (a historic landmark, of course what's NOT a historic landmark in London?)  Great meal Beef Wellington for Richard and I had  Scottish Beef, we'd call it Prime Rib.....OK that's all for now I'm beat and gotta crash

No comments:

Post a Comment