Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Monthly October MLT Vacations LA business trip - Wednesday and Thursday, October 23rd and 24th 2013

After arriving home from Argentina on Tuesday 10.22.13 I had my usual monthly trip to LA for my appointment (every 3rd Wednesday of the month) at ALTOUR - LA.  My boss, Charlie Mest and my friend/colleague Mary Dring were also in town as MLT Vacations along with Hard Rock Hotel were hosting a Travel Agent event at the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood at Universal City Walk.  After my day of sales calls I meet Charlie and Mary at our hotel, yes the Holiday Inn Hollywood Walk of Fame.

We went over and started to prepare for our travel agent event.  When most of the work was completed Charlie asked me to have a beer with him prior to the start of the event.  He was NOT supposed to tell me until tomorrow morning at breakfast on Thursday (10.24.13) but he simply could not hold it any longer.  He told me my job/position was being eliminated.  MLT did not want me to contact any travel agents/clients, they just wanted my help in sending back all of property and helping Mary with the travel agents in Northern California.  While I was a bit caught off guard I knew in the back of my mind this was going to happen sooner or later, due to the loss of the United Vacations product, as Delta's focus is on LA and Seattle and NOT San Francisco.

So at breakfast on Thursday morning Charlie told me that I would still be "employed" until November 22nd and then get a severance package.  This means I wasn't really going to work yet I would be paid.  It also meant that I would still have travel privileges on Delta until November 22, 2013.

I flew home Thursday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment