Wednesday, September 16, 2015

We are on Holiday…..but this has NOT been a vacation! - Wednesday, September 16 - from the Great Barrier Reef to driving to Port Douglas

What do I mean by this statement, that we are on holiday but it has not been a vacation?

Well at home I NEVER get up before the sun rises.  So far, two days in Uluru I woke up at 5:15am, then the next morning we had to be up by 6:30am to get on the live aboard boat by 7:30am.  I then did the first morning dive at 6:30am each for the following two days.  So while we are on Holiday….it's been no vacation!

Today was the departure day from our live aboard boat.  We arrived in Cairns about 4:30pm picked up our Hertz rental car and started driving on the wrong side of the road to Port Douglas, about an hour north of Cairns.

We checked into the lovely Peninsula Boutique Hotel in Port Douglas just across from 4 Mile Beach.
I wondered why is it called 4 Mile Beach when Australia has kilometers, meters, the metric system.  I couldn't find anything so I'm just going with the fact that Australia used miles and feet/inches at one point so they just kept the old name, sounds better then 6.437 kilometer beach.  We had a lovely dinner at the hotel and looked forward to a wonderful night's rest so we could finally sleep in.

I enjoyed a nice Cooper's Pale Ale at our Hi Tide Restaurant




No comments:

Post a Comment